This blog is a window to my Life in Korea as an International Student. I am Buyana Buyangerel from Mongolia who came to Korea to study Masters in Economics from Kangwon National University, Chuncheon. It was a big decision by me in my life when I decided my study destination to Korea but I find it as a Turning Point in my life. Everybody of You are cordially welcome to join this blog. I hope the Morning calm will definitely inspire the Wonderful Blue sky.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Dokdo is the world's geological heritage

As mentioned above,
Dokdo is a volcanic island that was formed during the Pliocene in the 3rd phase of the Cenozoic Era, between about 4.6 million to about 2.5 million years ago. Thus, Dokdo is much older than Ulleungdo Island (about 2.5 million-10,000 years ago) and Jejudo Island (about 1.2 million-10,000 years ago).

Considering its age, Dokdo is like a big brother to Ulleungdo and Jejudo.
If 'The waters of East Sea dry up and the soils of Mt. Baekdu blow away,' as the Korean Anthem sings, Dokdo would no longer be a small rock island, but the tip of a massive mountain that is about 2,000 in height.

Geologically, Dokdo is a volcanic island that is formed by lava from underwater volcanic eruptions of the East Sea. Originally, Dongdo and Seodo were not divided as they are today.

Source:  http://en.dokdo.go.kr/

No comments:

Post a Comment