This blog is a window to my Life in Korea as an International Student. I am Buyana Buyangerel from Mongolia who came to Korea to study Masters in Economics from Kangwon National University, Chuncheon. It was a big decision by me in my life when I decided my study destination to Korea but I find it as a Turning Point in my life. Everybody of You are cordially welcome to join this blog. I hope the Morning calm will definitely inspire the Wonderful Blue sky.

Monday, October 31, 2011

Hanbok Designer to Host Fashion Show on Dokdo

Lee Young-hee Lee Young-hee

Leading hanbok designer Lee Young-hee will host a fashion show on Dokdo around Aug. 9 to celebrate Liberation Day on Aug. 15.

Lee (75) told the Chosun Ilbo on Monday, "I thought I should do something to defend Dokdo when I heard that Japan is trying to teach students that the islets are Japanese territory" in recently approved middle-school textbooks there.

"I think we're being too complacent if we just think Dokdo is ours while Japan is devising ways to tell its young people that Dokdo is theirs," she said.

"Dokdo is Korean territory, and hanbok is the Korean costume," Lee said. "We're going to show our traditional costume to people around the world by hosting the show on our territory."

She said she is not worried about potential Japanese protests. "I have a lot of Japanese customers, to the point where Miyuki Hatoyama," the wife of former Japanese Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama, "made kimchi in a hanbok I made for her, and Tetsuko Kuroyanagi," a renowned actress, "once paid a call on the Japanese emperor in a hanbok I made. I believe they won't mind."
The show will feature about 30 hanboks including costumes for Chosun kings and queens, a traditional hanbok made from ramie, and the 2011 spring/summer Paris Haute Couture collection.

"Some people say the royal costumes are anachronistic," Lee said. "But I included them in the show to emphasize the dignity with which Korea has defended Dokdo for a long time."

About 40 models and other staff will take part, and the distinguished photographer Kim Joong-man will take photos of the entire show.

"We'll make the most of the terrain," she added. "We plan to present the show at the top of the islet as well as on the flatland near the jetty."

Source: The Chosunilbo, http://english.chosun.com

No comments:

Post a Comment